Thursday, March 15, 2012

[Review] Die for Me by Amy Plum

Goodreads: In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity. 

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

My reaction when I see the cover: "WOAH SO PRETTY!"
My reaction when I read it: o__O "Twilight much?"

*facepalm*

PROS:
Kate's boyfriend was a kick-ass revenant with an awesome family. He wasn't wimpy or anything about killing stuff, although he died a lot (for good reasons). He came back as a revenant because he gave his life for someone, and now the rest of his existence is pretty much dying over, and over again (which must get a bit annoying/painful). Also, Kate was not the wimpy girl who stood off to the side and let her boyfriend be killed while defenseless. She fought with no proper training when she, her sister, and Vincent (in a coma-like state) were being threatened, and then when Vincent took over her body and helped her fight using the mind-mold thing, she didn't go insane or whatever.I also really liked the end when the revenant-human mind-mold thing happens and Kate and Vincent are able to talk to each other, even when he's in his corporeal form. The characters were pretty well formed, and I must say that my favorite was Charlotte :D

CONS:
The main character, Kate, has brown hair and pale skin- you know, like BELLA. And then her boyfriend Vincent is like, "I should stay away from you because this is dangerous." The exact quote would be:
""I told you, Kate, I had seen you around the neighborhood"--he weighed his words carefully--"and you seemed like someone I would want to know. It was probably a bad idea. But I obviously wasn't thinking." As he spoke, his voice turned from warm to icicle cold. I couldn't tell if he was angry with himself for getting me involved in whatever mess he was in--or with me for bringing it up. "
This was just a little too Twilight-like for me (at least near the beginning).  But then on top of that, she runs away from him and then comes back when everyone says he's pining. It's just a little odd, not as bad as it could be. 
A couple other things that irked me was that when they "broke up" for about 2 weeks, both of them went into full-depression mode. That's just not normal for a 16-year-old (*ahem* Kate) and a guy who, although he's technically lived 85 years, has the mind maturity of a 19-year-old. Seriously people, you don't go into depression because you broke up with someone who you were dating for a couple of weeks.

And because I'm me, I made a graph :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woah! Thanks for the comment :D